Sabado, Hulyo 2, 2011

Sharing is Caring

Communication. It’s one word, but it holds numerous meanings. One of the definitions of communication which struck me the most in class was “communication is not just transferring, it is sharing.” Despite all the typologies and academic disciplines of communication that were presented in class, it was this simple yet striking phrase that caught my attention and left an imprint on me. I suppose it was the word “sharing” that pulled me in. Much like the word “communication”, the word “sharing” is a deep well filled with many definitions and meanings. It also got me thinking that the actions that these two words pertain to are very much interdependent to one another. A person cannot share without communicating in as much as a person cannot communicate without sharing. I believe one action comes with the other whether we may realize it or not.

I also found the “sharing” definition of communication the most interesting one because it also made me realize just how important the act of communicating really is. Just like one of my classmates said, “It’s (communicating) something we do so often and yet we take it for granted because it has always been there” We do not realize it, but communication plays such a major role in everyone’s life. It forms the base of our relationships with others, its helps us find ourselves, it enables commerce and trade to take place, it aids in governing the state, etc.

I cannot even begin to imagine a world without any form of communication (group, interpersonal, or even intrapersonal). Eliminating this could not only be the downfall of society but it could also be the ruin of the entire world. Man is a social being, and as a result of this he needs others to survive. I believe that communication is a tool that aids in helping man survive the test of time. It is thru communicating and sharing that man is able to pass down, develop, and impart in others the knowledge which he himself possess and has acquired from his ancestors. It’s true that communication is not merely transferring information from one person to another; because the essence of transferring is that the information leaves the recipient and is given to the receiver. Communication is sharing because the recipient imparts in another the knowledge or information which he has without actually “transferring” it. When I talk to a friend regarding particular memories I’ve had, I do not just transfer the memory to my friend and forget about it afterwards. The memory which I only once knew about becomes a memory which me and my friend now “share”.

I guess both in the real world and in the world of communication, sharing is caring if the object and information that is being shared is done out of good moral value. 

7 komento:

  1. I concur that communication is a way of sharing feelings in order to get you message across more effectively, it bridges gaps between people and thus form a certain bond with one another.

    And to add it up, sharing effectively also means asking of oneself of what really is the intended message you want to get across to. Remember that relationships are build through sharing as how Gautama Buddha puts it "Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared."

    So its best to speak up for you're always deserved to be heard.

    -MJ Ramos

    TumugonBurahin
  2. I really like this post! I see it as a very optimistic view on communication, after having Chomsky "demonize" (Flores, 2011) (hehe) us with several concepts of communication.

    "A person cannot share without communicating in as much as a person cannot communicate without sharing. I believe one action comes with the other whether we may realize it or not."

    I find it lighter (I can't think of a better word for this) when we discuss the idea of communication as an act of sharing. Indeed, communicating is sharing, and sharing is not a one-way road. With this, we could say sharing begets sharing, hence we get a healthy give-and-take relationship.

    TumugonBurahin
  3. This is really sweet.:)
    Yes, communication is sharing. It's a wonderful thing. It gets people together and it strengthens relationships.

    TumugonBurahin
  4. I also like what Hazel quoted from your entry. Whatever type of message we impart to another person, whether it's good or bad, plain data or personal insights, everything is an act of sharing. Through communication, we are able to share what we know and think regarding certain matters. And when the other person decides to share whatever it is to us, we can also reflect on it. Communication is really rewarding.

    TumugonBurahin
  5. Just like what I said in my comment on Icy's blog post, what is most interesting with the ritual view is not that it provides an alternative way of looking at things, but because its description of communication hits closer to home.

    TumugonBurahin
  6. This post indeed lightens up the complexity of communication because simply put, communication is sharing of ideas and information. But I want to stress the principal and crucial danger of shared information or the process of transferring the information from one to another because there is a strong possibility that the idea shared to another person might change the real intention of the original source depending on how you reproduce the shared information. The original purpose of the sender can be viewed differently if shared and reproduced by the message receivers.
    Joey s

    TumugonBurahin