Huwebes, Agosto 18, 2011

Check and Balance


We had our informal class debates last Tuesday. The topic our group was assigned to debate about was the regulation of media: should media be regulated by the government or should it regulate itself? Although my partner and I were assigned to defend the side of self regulation, I personally think that media should be partly regulated by the government. I believe that there should be a check and balance that happens between the important institutions within a society. Both government and the media are two very prominent and influential entities, they should check up and make sure that the other is doing its job properly, ethically, and correctly.

Although there are many arguments such as ethical issues, public trust, etc that would benefit the government regulation of media, I also think there are many counter arguments that can be brought up. Having this debate actually pushed me more into the dark rather than bring me to the light of realizing which side I would pledge my loyalty to. Without a doubt the debate on government or self media regulation is a tough bout to decide upon. Both sides have ethical and technical issues that will definitely serve as pitfalls.

As of now I don’t think Philippine media is ready for either government or self regulated policies that would help guide the industry to making the right choices that would benefit our society. I believe that the only way true regulation can be achieved is if there is a unified call and collective concern for the common good by both the media and the governement. As of now, I have yet to see the involvement and concern of media, government, and the people towards achieving the common good out society. Because of this, I think media regulation cannot be properly achieved. I do hope that one day both media and the governemtn can find a common ground where they could settle their indifferences and develop an ethical regulation plan that would benefit society and the media industry in the long run.

3 komento:

  1. "I do hope that one day both media and the governemtn can find a common ground where they could settle their indifferences and develop an ethical regulation plan that would benefit society and the media industry in the long run."

    I agree completely. One thing that initially made it difficult for me to deal with our position is that I believe that the regulation system should be two- way. We were worried nga that you might argue against us and say that a government-regulated media environment would be like a manifestation of authoritarian rule...or something like that :)

    But I guess the main problem with our media regulation system is that it's not really taken seriously because it's not really a priority. I definitely understand. However, it is still nice to think that someday, somehow the media industry might be restored in order as well.

    TumugonBurahin
  2. The problem with media regulation is that it's always reactive. It's always after the fact. It's always too late. I understand the dilemma with live broadcast but there must also be a way to control it. And then ultimately, the government must be consistent and media organizations must take things seriously.

    TumugonBurahin
  3. I agree with Joselle's comment that the regulation system should be two-way and with Icy in that it should be preventive rather than reactive. After the regulation debate, I still couldn't pick a side because as you said, both sides have their merits and pitfalls. That's why I think it should probably go hand in hand, because ultimately for me it's a matter of trust - this is both in ourselves and in our government. Having external regulation shouldn't excuse us from constantly regulating ourselves and having internal regulatory departments instituted in the media industry. But, maybe it is better that there is also an external body that provides guidance and leadership in terms of content regulation, such that we are accountable to an objective code of regulation enforced by an objective body. It's an idealistic suggestion, but I don't think it would be impossible to reach this stage of readiness in the future. One thing's for sure, media content is evolving and thus we need to pay attention to this issue while it is still developing and young so that we can respond immediately, rather than "after the fact" as Icy put it.

    TumugonBurahin