I was never really fond of listening to the radio. Out of all the media mediums available out there, the radio was something that just never really caught my attention. The only time I would ever get to actually listen to the radio was if it was playing in some random place or in car ride with someone to break the awkward silence. Other than that, the radio was never really something I frequently liked listening to.
As time passed, my dislike of the radio only seemed to heighten as its platform evolved to a different format; more talking and less music playing. Now a day when I drive to work, I’d rather listen to nothing than turn on my radio. The bombardment of ads and the excessive talking of radio DJ’s has only made me despise the medium all the more. The only reason I enjoy radio is for the music, to discover new songs and to have a break from my iPod. But now that there is less music and more talk, I most of the time veer away from it.
I cannot blame the radio industry for shifting to a more talk oriented format. After all, if all radio stations played music, the only differentiating factor would be the genres of their playlists. For the sake of profit and a competitive advantage, most radio stations (as what the speakers said) are shifting to a more talk oriented format. In fact, it was mentioned by one of the speakers that some radio stations are shifting their target audience as well. From the upper A & B class, radio stations are now aiming to entice the “masa” since they are a huge percentage of the total population and also because they are still frequent listeners of the radio.
As for me, I’m glad that the iPod exists. I can listen to any song, any time I want. Good thing there are some radio stations that still stick to playing more music rather than have their radio DJ’s talk. Those are the radio stations that save me when I’m in a boring car ride and my iPod decides to die on me>
on the other hand, listening to fm programs with more talk can break the boredom while driving alone. This will also keep you awake especially on long distance driving :)
TumugonBurahinI listen to the radio two times during the day: on my way to work and on my way home from work. It's a pretty long car ride, and sometimes I like to have the spontaneity of the radio than listen to my iPod. I also still rely on the radio as one of my sources to discover new songs and see what the latest songs are with hit charts. So, I'm personally not a fan of too much talk and less music, like you. But, I don't mind it in balance. I actually prefer more music in the evenings, and I don't mind the talking so much in the mornings. I think one of the reasons why this radio talk show format is getting more prevalent is the element of interaction - but for me radio (particularly FM) is primarily a music medium, so as I said earlier balance is really key - and I do hope that the future of radio doesn't foretell an all-talk format :)
TumugonBurahinSame! There are times when I find the talk show format entertaining, but most times I think they're all just the same topic over and over again. Another thing I don't like is when a solo DJ goes on and on and on and on and on talking about himself/herself, how his/her day went, and all those vain accounts that he/she could have just blogged about.
TumugonBurahinTalk shows on the air could be entertaining when they discuss topics that are timely, interesting and intellectually stimulating. Talk shows in "masa" format usually bank on people's capacity to be emotional about matters. I don't see anything really wrong about this. But those stories are the ones that prod me to turn the radio off.